Dual Citizenship Cyprus
Cyprus is a full member of the European Union. This means that a citizen of Cyprus is also a citizen of the EU, and can travel and reside freely in any of the member states of the EU.
Cyprus permits dual citizenship.
How can you acquire Cyprus citizenship?
CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH
Those born in Cyprus on or after August 16, 1960 to at least one Cypriot parent automatically acquire citizenship at birth.
Those born abroad on or after August 16, 1960 to at least one Cypriot parent also acquire citizenship at birth, except for those born between August 16, 1960 and 1999 to a Cypriot mother. Those falling into this latter category may register as a citizen after age 21.
CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT
Those born abroad to at least one Cypriot parent or those of Cypriot origin are entitled to citizenship and can register for citizenship with a local consulate. Those born abroad between August 16, 1960 and 1999 to a Cypriot mother may register as a citizen after age 21.
CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION
Those meeting the following requirements may apply for naturalization:
- age 21 or over;
- at least 7 years of residence (reduced to 5 years for those with Cypriot children);
- legal and continuous residence in Cyprus 12 months prior to the application;
- be of good character.
CITIZENSHIP BY REGISTRATION
The following categories of people may register for citizenship:
- those born abroad to at least one Cypriot parent;
- those born abroad between August 16, 1960 and 1999 to a Cypriot mother may register for citizenship after age 21;
- those of Cypriot origin;
- those of Cypriot origin who are British citizens or citizens of any commonwealth country legally residing in the Republic of Cyprus for at least 1 year;
- Those born after August 16, 1960 and who descended from a parent who either became a British national on the basis of the Annexation of Cyprus Orders in Council of 1914 to 1943 or born in Cyprus between November 5, 1914 and August 16, 1960 during which time the parents were ordinarily resident in Cyprus, may register as a citizen.
- British citizens or citizens of any commonwealth country of Cypriot origin may register as a citizen if they are ordinarily resident in Cyprus, they have lived in Cyprus for at least 1 year and is of good character.
CITIZENSHIP BY MARRIAGE
Those who are married to a citizen of Cyprus may acquire citizenship after 3 years of marriage and harmonious cohabitation with the Cypriot spouse. The applicant must have entered Cyprus legally and must be residing in Cyprus legally.
In case of any query or meeting appointment with Dubai Best Immigration Consultants, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org